Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Weight loss, what's it worth to you?



So often I hear that people aren't willing to work out or change their eating habits because it is too much of a sacrifice.

What is the long term cost of being overweight?

In order for me to afford some of my wants I have to be willing to sacrifice in other areas.  I clip coupons and stalk grocery store circulars for deals on my favorite products.  I complete the surveys that restaurants print out on their bills/receipts so that I can qualify for discounts or deals later.  I rarely shop at major departments stores or retailers because I have to make every dollar count. Why??? Because I choose to drive a car that requires staggered tires and premium gas.  Because of my current vehicle choice, I have to be mindful in other areas of spending. I have a girlfriend that is Michael Kors crazy.  Purses, wallets,cell phone accessories and shoes. She has it all.  BUT she doesn't throw caution to the wind when she decides to splurge.  These are calculated purchases.  No one is trying to wind up in the poor house because they enjoy nice things.

So....why aren't we willing to sacrifice in order to be healthy? Eating recklessly and being inactive will 'cost' you in the long run.  It seems that many of us are willing to DEPLETE our health 'savings' with no regard to the long term effect.  Often times it is too late to start making deposits or investments on our health.  If you really like beef burgers, why not buy lean ground beef? If you don't want to give up pizza or an occasional piece of fried chicken shouldn't you be willing to offset calories in other areas?   Do you have a major sweet tooth?  Stop by your local bakery and get a 'slice' of cake or a cupcake versus bringing an entire cake home.  Instead of a half gallon of ice cream, buy the individual serving size cups.  The same way a person is willing to cut coupons or shop at a second hand store to be able to 'afford' their wants.  You should be willing to do the same when it comes to dieting and trying to achieve a healthy lifestyle.

Check out this Documentary Soul Food Junkies by Byron Hurt.



Filmmaker Byron Hurt looks at the past and future of soul food - from its roots in Western Africa, to its incarnation in the American South, to its contribution to modern health crises in communities of color. Soul Food Junkies also looks at the socioeconomics of the modern American diet, and how the food industry profits from making calories cheap, but healthy options expensive and hard to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment