Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Lil Nuggets of Wisdom

Here are little nuggets of wisdom that I've mentally archived during my journey.




  1. Don't allow yourself to become super hungry: Have 'go-to' snacks in your desk drawer, purse or glove compartment.  Nuts, granola bars, fresh fruit or jerky are great on the go foods that you have around to keep you from becoming ravenously hungry.  I still struggle with this.  I used to keep a metal lunch box on the back seat of my car filled with healthy snacks.  This lunch box kept me from ending up in the drive through most days.  I've learned that when my stomach is in 'touching my back' mode it's very hard to make rational decisions.  :( 
    My handy dandy lunchbox
  2. Stay off the One Size Fits All bandwagon: Everything doesn't work for everybody.  True, there are some things that are pure science or common sense.  However, that doesn't mean that a particular solution will match your goals, motivate you or fit into your lifestyle.  Don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself by trying a cookie cutter approach. Formulate  a custom plan that works for YOU.
  3. Silencing the naysayers in your head/circle:  I'll start with the ones in your head.  Fear and doubt will tell you that you can't do it.  You'll sabotage yourself and exhibit self defeating behavior because you are afraid of change.  Don't do this to yourself.  Stand firm.  If you fall, get back up.  Never give up.   There are a couple of ways to silence the Negative Nancy's in your circle.  But I'll make it real simple.  Feed them with a long handled spoon (period).  (LOL I'm from NC, but I think that saying is pretty universal). The minute you see anyone trying to distract you, sabotage you or keep you from reaching your goals.  Shut them down!   You should be focusing your energy on YOU.  Unfortunately, some people become uncomfortable when you try to better yourself.  They tend to feel this way especially if you share some of the same characteristics.  This is their problem, not yours.  Keep it moving.  One of my many mottos is: Roll with me or get run over!  Don't allow an-y-one, to keep you from making the changes that you want and need in your life.  Let them hate from the sidelines...
  4. Start S-L-O-W:  There are probably people that won't agree with me on this one.  I believe that you should start slowly when trying to incorporate fitness and diet changes into your everyday life.  ESPECIALLY if you're constantly starting over again.   If you've never been successful with diet or exercise before.  Why not ease into it?  Ex: Week #1 = drinking more water and cutting out soft drinks or sweetened beverages.  Week #2 = Week #1 + No Fast Food/Healthier food choices.  Week #3 = Week #1+Week #2 + Walking/Exercising 3-5 days a week and keeping a food journal.  After a month or so you should be comfortable with all of the changes you have made.  Starting slowly allows you to get familiar with the changes without feeling overwhelmed.
  5. Eat Foods You Enjoy:  Following a 'diet' plan that consists of food you do not like is a recipe for disaster.  Don't do it.  You will be miserable the whole time and will not stick with it.  Sooooo..... don't diet.  Adopt lifestyle changes that you can live with.


No comments:

Post a Comment