Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Knock Off Meals



Over the years I have learned to create my own knock off meals at home.  Many restaurants have full descriptions of their entrees on their menus and websites.  If you have a favorite meal, why not try your hand at a knock off version at home?  You're able to control the portion sizes, sodium, fat and added sugar content when you're the chef.  
I also recommend skimming website menus online when you're at a loss on what to prepare for dinner. Avoid the deep fried, cheese covered, heavily sauced options.  Someone has already done all of the work and figured out the pairings of proteins, veggies and carbs.  All you have to do is figure out how to emulate it in a healthy way.

Today I decided to knock off my favorite salad from Bahama Breeze. This salad is all types of delicious:  Fresh pineapple, almonds, goat cheese, strawberries, mandarin and red grapes.  

Grilled Chicken or Shrimp and Tropical Fruit on Mixed Greens

Tropical Fruit and Grilled Chicken on Mixed Greens
Tossed with vinaigrette dressing, fresh pineapple, red grapes, strawberries and mandarin oranges with goat cheese crumbles and candied almonds. 

The menu basically outlined all the ingredients I needed. Grocery shopping was a no brainer.  The website also graciously shared the recipe for the Island vinaigrette.



 The only real preparation was the 'grilling' of the chicken breast, (which I did on my George Foreman).  Check out the Emeril's Creole Seasoning recipe on my recipe page.  This stuff is about to be my 'house' seasoning for my meats.


DRUMROLL PLEASE!!!!


I was very pleased with the outcome of this salad.  If I had to give it a score from the range of 1-10 I would give it an 8.5 or 9.  I've said it quite a few times on my blog already, don't eat what you don't like!  A little effort and variety can make your healthy lifestyle change second nature. 


No comments:

Post a Comment